Broken Family, Marriage, Parenting, Children, and Relationship Help

Support for: Divorce, Child Custody, Parenting Plan Agreement, Grandparents Rights, and Much More…

Grandparents' Rights in Kansas - KS Visitation, Custody, and Legal Strategies to Fight for Your Grandchildrens Best Interests Through KS Family Law

Kansas Child Custody Laws, KS Grandparents Visitation Rights, Filing Divorce Papers, Parenting Plan Agreement, Mediation, Evaluation, and Court Hearing Support

Kansas grandparents’ legal rights, guidelines, regulations, and rules of law allow you to ask for visitation, and temporary custody of your grandchildren. KS grandparents can also file for full custody, guardianship, or adoption, to raise their grand-kids, through a KS family law custody court judicial process. The proper legal advice, guidance, and strategies are key to ensure a successful outcome to any predicament regarding your grandchildren. Fortunately, studies have shown that the “Best Interests” for your grandchildren is that they have an active relationship with their grandparents. Grandfathers and grandmothers can often provide a healthier and more stable environment than the children’s biological parents. As a result, Kansas’s “Best Interest of the Child” guideline fully supports a grandparents’ rights for visitation and custody. The legal extent to which you can visit, provide, and support your grandchildren will need to be determined and approved through a KS family law court hearing litigation process.

Children are all too often kept from their grandparents, or exposed to abuse and neglect. Typically, most if not all of these circumstances Grandparents Visitation and Custody Rights - Grandchildren Need Grandparents Help Protecting Them from Abuse and Neglectare completely out of their control. This unhealthy environment is a damaging situation for children’s emotional and physical well-being. Children often don’t have a voice to be heard, and it is our responsibility as grandparents to be that voice. A voice that defends, supports, protects, and cares for all grandchildren that so desperately need our help.

The Kansas Judicial Legal System Recognizes the Importance of Grandparents’ Rights Regarding Visitation and Custody of Grandchildren; and Fully Understands That Abuse and Neglect are Prevalent in KS Families.

KS family law fully acknowledges the ability for grandparents to provide a positive and stable environment. An environment, which is able to provide leadership, and a parenting platform so many children desperately need. Grandchildren even spending limited time with their grandparents can help provide the much-needed comfort and security that children require on a regular basis.

The situation grandchildren are exposed to varies greatly. Some are in a positive stable environment, and grandparents are simply denied access or may be allowed very limited contact with their grandchildren. The other end of the spectrum is a situation that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If you can prove your grandchildren are being subjected to an abusive and neglectful environment, the Kansas judicial system will act quickly and forcefully on your behalf. Don’t think for one second that as grandparents your rights will be restricted or limited. Remember, the “Best Interest of the Children” is a standard that is fully recognized and supported in the state of Kansas.

If your grandchildren are in an abusive or neglected environment you may file a petition for a KS child protective proceeding. If abuse, neglect, or imminent danger exist, child protective services may enforce an emergency removal of the children and place them into protective custody. A child protective proceeding is typically followed by a number of court hearings. A fact-finding court hearing is set to determine if the allegations are true. A dis-positional hearing is set to decide what should be done if the child has been neglected or abused. Finally, a permanency hearing is set to determine and finalize the permanent placement and security of the children.

It’s important to recognize, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) was established to ensure that any Broken Families, Marriages, Relationships, Children, Teenagers, and Parents Need Help Nowchild custody litigation occurs in the child’s “home state”. The “home state” is defined as the last state where a child has lived for 6 consecutive months with a parent. This act was adopted to discourage parents from moving out-of-state in an attempt to manipulate the judicial system for whatever reason. Parental attempted kidnapping by moving children to another state or jurisdiction was one of the main reasons the UCCJEA was adopted.

Kansas Grandparents’ Legal Rights, Guidelines, Regulations, and Rules of Law Enable You to Defend Your Visitation Rights, Fight for Custody, or the “Best Interests” of Your Grandchildren Through KS Family Law.

The modification to your grandchild’s custody situation may be modified in Kansas on your behalf. In some cases it will be a temporary modification based on a continuing effort of both parents to SUCCESSFULLY overcome the obstacles that prevent them from retaining full custody again. Parents inability to provide a safe, stable, humane, and secure home environment can be due to many different factors, including but not limited to: (substance abuse, incarceration, mental health issues, anger management, poor leadership skill sets, endangerment, physical abuse, emotional abuse, domestic violence, divorce, etc.). In other cases you may be awarded full custody. Often times, full custody comes with the option to legally adopt your grandchildren.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that you have no legal rights in the state of Kansas when it Grandparents Legal Rights for Visitation and Child Custody - Family Law Custody Court Judicial Procedurescomes to your grandchildren. KS family law will help ensure your grand-kids get what they deserve and need. Remember to focus your efforts on their “Best Interests” at all times. Your grandchildren will thank you when they are mature enough to realize the decisions and sacrifices you made for them and their future.

I cannot stress enough, the fact that grandchildren need their grandparents. For some grand-kids seeing their grandparents on a regular basis is the best option. Others need to be removed from a physically and emotionally damaging environment permanently. Grandparents are often the first and best option for children to find the stable and secure environment they desperately need and deserve. Check out the links below to help secure visitation with your grandchildren, or fight for the rights of someone who is unable to defend themselves.

The time to act is now, because all children deserve the best that our society has to offer. As a Kansas grandparent you have rights. Grandparents Visitation and Child Custody Rights, Laws, Advice, Support, and Dispute Resolution Through Negotiation and Court LitigationThese rights enable you to request visitation, and also allow you to be a voice for someone who may desperately need your help and support. Life can come with many challenges, but if you believe that everything happens for a reason then life’s challenges will suddenly become an obstacle with a manageable solution. Don’t forget, Kansas grandparents’ legal rights, regulations, guidelines, and rules of law, regarding grandchild visitation and custody, were also legislated for guidance, advice, and strategies to support the “Best Interests of the Children” standard through KS family law.

19 Responses to “Kansas (KS) Grandparents’ Rights for Visitation, Custody, and Support”

  1. Kansas Grandparent. says:

    I am desperately searching for grandparents in Kansas who are not allowed to see their grandchildren!!!

    Have you lost the opportunity to spend time with your grandchildren due to a family argument, divorce or death of one parent? I am the state leader of a group of grandparents in Kansas no longer allowed to see their grandchildren. We are planning on spending a LOT of time working with the 2015 kansas legislative session. We are fighting an uphill battle and need a strong presence to get legislation introduced and passed! Have already contacted several legislatures who are willing to work with us.

    The current grandparents rights law is a good start, but needs improvement. We can make that happen if we have a strong support group! We need to focus on the rights of the children.

    Please email

    If you are interested in helping out. The more grandparents we have the more credibility we will have with the legislators.

    • Kelly Rea says:

      I live in the lawrence area and would be happy to help. I would share my story in a face to face meeting.

    • Lisa says:

      I am the grandparent of a child that resides in Kansas. My daughter recently remarried and her new husband is abusing my grandchild! I live in Florida, but am desperately trying to figure out how to best help my poor granddaughter. When I called my daughter on the abuse, she now is keeping my granddaughter away from me for spite! My daughter is in the military, and I raised my granddaughter for a year when she was deployed. When I recently visited the situation was beyond horrendous, and all my granddaughter did was beg to “go home with Grandma and Papa”, or run away with her to the cornfields! I will be most appreciative of any advice! (and yes, I am more than willing to fight for my granddaughters safety!)

      • Lisa says:

        Have you called the Family Advocate Program on the base where your daughter is stationed? My Son and wife are military members and that was actually the only way I was able to get anyone to check in on the children. KS DCF sent a letter saying they didn’t meet the guidelines to respond. After contacting the FAP on base, they were assessed and unfortunately they agreed with me that the children were being neglected. FAP has social workers and they can get the Military Police to do a well-child check, and they can get Kansas state to then take in a case.

    • Constance sterling says:

      Currently fighting in court to get grandchild that has been in foster care since 2013. I’m a resident of Louisiana, ICPC approve after 1 year, now agency is allowing foster parents the opportunity to adopt as well. Up to date $5,600 have been spent, afraid we will be broke before we hear anything.

    • Tammi Vaughn says:

      Please, my son and the babies mom are trying to move immediately to Florida. My grandson is special needs. They already have family services involved for medical neglect and suspected child neglect. I need to know how to stop them from leaving. They are planning on leaving this Saturday. My grandson will be in grave danger. He is 4 months old and weighs 11 pounds. My number is 6204730635..

    • Jody Keiser says:

      I have been kept from the grandchildren for six months for the two older ones, and have not been allowed to even meet the youngest, who will be one in July. I am stepmother to the father of these children. How can I help?

    • Lisa says:

      I am looking for information on grandparent rights in Kansas. My grandchildren were taken into state custody and we live out of state. I’m trying to find out and work out video conferencing visitation with my grandchildren who are under the age of 3. We visited with them this way when their parents had them and I’m finding it difficult to get the same visits now. Do you have any information that may help me?

    • Marilyn Ikerd says:

      I am a grandparent and I am willing to help, because I am in need of help to have rights to see my grandchildren. My daughter is emotionally unstable.

    • Wendy White says:

      Our 20 year old daughter Betty Sue secretly got married Sept 1st to a man who is not the baby’s father. Baby was just born October 25th 2016, and we are already being denied to see the baby. I fear this is not going to improve. What rights do grandparents have in KS. We currently have 2 grandsons and a total of 4 children. Betty Sue was adopted at age 3 1/2 and her sister was 2.

    • N Diane Pollitt says:

      I would like to help in anyway to advocate for grandchildren and grandparents. Our daughter has alienated us, and we have not been allowed to see our four grandchildren in 3 years. We were always to close to them and attended all their extracurricular activities and sports events. We are looking for resources to help us get visitation. We’ve tried counseling to reconcile with our daughter but she has withdrawn for no reason and ended our sessions. We really don’t know what to do at this point. Thank you.

  2. Kansas Grandparent. says:

    Please call me on 913 634-3888 to set up a time to get together.


  3. Larry Colin says:

    We are the grandparents of 3 children. The older 2 are with our daughter and her husband. The baby is NOT with the husband although daughter is still married. Husband is incarcerated and has been so now for 3 years so could NOT be the father. Daughter declared such. Daughter does meth, has not progressed. Department for Children and Families (aka DCF) is severing rights of all parents as daughter is now incarcerated. KVC placed all three children with the husbands sister and her husband even though the baby is NOT related by blood. We wanted all three placed with us, and we wanted to adopt all three. We would be happy with current placement if our grandparents rights were protected. To just sever grandparent rights due to actions of the parents is NOT in the best interest of the children. We live 60 miles away from our grandchildren, and have regularly had them overnight every month and visited when we are in their area. DCF and KVC have excluded us from day one even though we specifically asked for placement and adoption. We are already KVC licensed to provide foster care and are adoption approved. Our home has already been inspected. The placement home does NOT have the required number of bedrooms as the husbands sister already has 3 other children. They cannot adopt because they cannot comply with the housing requirements at this time. This decision seems to have been made prior to removal by DCF. How can this be legal?

  4. Cheryl Rains says:

    My daughter-in-law(DIL) is refusing to let me see my grandchildren now. My son is incarcerated for 14 years, and I am wondering if they can take his parental rights away because of his charges, which were distribution of child porn on the Internet. Not of his children. Could this, affect my chances of grandparents visitation? I have lived with them since they were born, until 5 months ago. We live in Kansas. Please help me.

  5. Schandra Peterson says:

    I need help for a family law attorney that is not in Butler County, KS; to help fight for my rights as a grandparent. Any help would be appreciated.

  6. Larry Colin says:

    My wife and I are grandparents. We live in Kansas. Our son in law is incarcerated, and will be for many years for drug trafficking. Our daughter has 2 children with him, 2 girls. She left those 2 girls with her sister in law, (husbands sister and her husband) for about 3 years. Then she has a son in 2014 with a man not her husband. Her husband remember is incarcerated. They both tested positive for meth at birth. DCF (aka Department of Children and Families) took her son into custody and placed the boy with the 2 girls who currently live with the sister in law. They have 3 kids of their own, and 14 months later they are still short one bedroom, according to the DCF rules. We asked for all three children to be placed with us. We have no children at home. Our house is DCF approved. We are licensed for foster care in Kansas. We are allowed visits but DCF/KVC will not allow us to be involved in the case planning. They refused to even consider us for placement. The boy is NOT related to anyone in the home except the 2 girls. We are the only blood relative of the boy that is interested in him. At no time did the girls live with the mother during the pregnancy or after the birth. Yet KVC chose to place the boy with the sister in law due to preserving the sibling relationship over placing him with us. The courts have ruled to sever the parents rights of both the father and the mother. We are trying to apply to adopt all three children. We are the only ones that are interested in and related to all THREE children. KCV is not considering us for adoption, and had already decided before the parental rights were severed that the sister in law would adopt all three children. Several comments have been made about when they are her kids da da da. Right now we do have a pretty good relationship with the sister-in-law. But she kept her own father from visiting the grand-kids for over a year. She says to TRUST her and she will continue to have us in the grand-kids lives. We have asked that the adoption include a clause that we still retain the grandparent rights. They will NOT. That is the situation as of now.

  7. Tricia Glenn says:

    I am in desperate need of help with the Kaw Valley Center(KVC) in Franklin County, Kansas. They have denied us grandparents rights from day one. We need to stop them from returning my four grandchildren back to their abusive parents, and need help on how to fight for my grandchildren. This abuse has gone on for ten years, and they do not deserve to go back to abuse ever again. Please help! My entire family has so much evidence to prove the abuse and no one will let us share it, speak on behalf of the kids, or do anything to help.

  8. Brenda Shank says:

    I lost the invitation to be in the delivery room, had rumors spread on Facebook stating that I work as an escort, and brag about sleeping with multiple men. I have also been told I have no place in my son, daughter-in-law, step granddaughter, and soon to be grandson’s life. Why? Because I expressed how I felt when the other grandmother stepped in and purchased the baby bed after I was told the kids were okay with honoring our family tradition of buying the first grandchild of the child’s baby bed. I THEN TOLD THEM I COULD REPAY HER FOR IT. When I got upset and expressed my feelings of being walked on and pushed out, my son exploded and it snowballed from there.

    Now his in-law’s are encouraging that the kids keep the grand kids away from everyone on our side. Keep in mind that the in-laws didn’t even know they got married and when they found out accused me of pushing the kids into the marriage. I warned the kids the first time they threatened to keep the grand kids from me, I would go to court and fight for my rights as a grandparent. Now I am being told I only have rights if my son dies, becomes a bad dad, or they get a divorce. I can’t believe this is true.

    What are my options and where do I turn to get help so I don’t miss being a part of my grand kids lives? If I am able to find a way, I know my husband has grand-kids he has never gotten to meet due to things caused by his ex wife and the boys mother. This is actually more common that I thought before I started looking for ways to get visitation. I don’t want to take the kids. I just want to get to see them regularly and build a relationship with them.

    Any help is greatly appreciated and I would be willing to be present and tell my story and I am willing to bet my husband would too.

  9. Tina harris says:

    My grand-kids were taken in November, 2016 and I have not seen them nor talked to them since. I’ve been to every court hearing. I’ve done everything that they have asked me to do. I have asked the case worker many times to see my grand-kids, and I’m still being told no. I would love to have my grand-kids with me, but was denied that as well. They won’t tell me why cause they don’t have a reason. Please I need help in what you can do to get my grand-kids or at least get to see them.

Ready to Eliminate Personal, Marital, or Family Problems? Tell us about your Situation...