Broken Family, Marriage, Parenting, Children, and Relationship Help

Support for: Divorce, Child Custody, Parenting Plan Agreement, Grandparents Rights, and Much More…

Grandparents' Rights in Oregon - OR Visitation, Custody, and Legal Strategies to Fight for Your Grandchildrens Best Interests Through OR Family Law

Oregon Child Custody Laws, OR Grandparents Visitation Rights, Filing Divorce Papers, Parenting Plan Agreement, Mediation, Evaluation, and Court Hearing Support

Oregon grandparents’ legal rights, guidelines, regulations, and rules of law allow you to ask for visitation, and temporary custody of your grandchildren. OR grandparents can also file for full custody, guardianship, or adoption, to raise their grand-kids, through a OR family law custody court judicial process. The proper legal advice, guidance, and strategies are key to ensure a successful outcome to any predicament regarding your grandchildren. Fortunately, studies have shown that the “Best Interests” for your grandchildren is that they have an active relationship with their grandparents. Grandfathers and grandmothers can often provide a healthier and more stable environment than the children’s biological parents. As a result, Oregon’s “Best Interest of the Child” guideline fully supports a grandparents’ rights for visitation and custody. The legal extent to which you can visit, provide, and support your grandchildren will need to be determined and approved through a OR family law court hearing litigation process.

Children are all too often kept from their grandparents, or exposed to abuse and neglect. Typically, most if not all of these circumstances Grandparents Visitation and Custody Rights - Grandchildren Need Grandparents Help Protecting Them from Abuse and Neglectare completely out of their control. This unhealthy environment is a damaging situation for children’s emotional and physical well-being. Children often don’t have a voice to be heard, and it is our responsibility as grandparents to be that voice. A voice that defends, supports, protects, and cares for all grandchildren that so desperately need our help.

The Oregon Judicial Legal System Recognizes the Importance of Grandparents’ Rights Regarding Visitation and Custody of Grandchildren; and Fully Understands That Abuse and Neglect are Prevalent in OR Families.

OR family law fully acknowledges the ability for grandparents to provide a positive and stable environment. An environment, which is able to provide leadership, and a parenting platform so many children desperately need. Grandchildren even spending limited time with their grandparents can help provide the much-needed comfort and security that children require on a regular basis.

The situation grandchildren are exposed to varies greatly. Some are in a positive stable environment, and grandparents are simply denied access or may be allowed very limited contact with their grandchildren. The other end of the spectrum is a situation that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If you can prove your grandchildren are being subjected to an abusive and neglectful environment, the Oregon judicial system will act quickly and forcefully on your behalf. Don’t think for one second that as grandparents your rights will be restricted or limited. Remember, the “Best Interest of the Children” is a standard that is fully recognized and supported in the state of Oregon.

If your grandchildren are in an abusive or neglected environment you may file a petition for a OR child protective proceeding. If abuse, neglect, or imminent danger exist, child protective services may enforce an emergency removal of the children and place them into protective custody. A child protective proceeding is typically followed by a number of court hearings. A fact-finding court hearing is set to determine if the allegations are true. A dis-positional hearing is set to decide what should be done if the child has been neglected or abused. Finally, a permanency hearing is set to determine and finalize the permanent placement and security of the children.

It’s important to recognize, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) was established to ensure that any Broken Families, Marriages, Relationships, Children, Teenagers, and Parents Need Help Nowchild custody litigation occurs in the child’s “home state”. The “home state” is defined as the last state where a child has lived for 6 consecutive months with a parent. This act was adopted to discourage parents from moving out-of-state in an attempt to manipulate the judicial system for whatever reason. Parental attempted kidnapping by moving children to another state or jurisdiction was one of the main reasons the UCCJEA was adopted.

Oregon Grandparents’ Legal Rights, Guidelines, Regulations, and Rules of Law Enable You to Defend Your Visitation Rights, Fight for Custody, or the “Best Interests” of Your Grandchildren Through OR Family Law.

The modification to your grandchild’s custody situation may be modified in Oregon on your behalf. In some cases it will be a temporary modification based on a continuing effort of both parents to SUCCESSFULLY overcome the obstacles that prevent them from retaining full custody again. Parents inability to provide a safe, stable, humane, and secure home environment can be due to many different factors, including but not limited to: (substance abuse, incarceration, mental health issues, anger management, poor leadership skill sets, endangerment, physical abuse, emotional abuse, domestic violence, divorce, etc.). In other cases you may be awarded full custody. Often times, full custody comes with the option to legally adopt your grandchildren.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that you have no legal rights in the state of Oregon when it Grandparents Legal Rights for Visitation and Child Custody - Family Law Custody Court Judicial Procedurescomes to your grandchildren. OR family law will help ensure your grand-kids get what they deserve and need. Remember to focus your efforts on their “Best Interests” at all times. Your grandchildren will thank you when they are mature enough to realize the decisions and sacrifices you made for them and their future.

I cannot stress enough, the fact that grandchildren need their grandparents. For some grand-kids seeing their grandparents on a regular basis is the best option. Others need to be removed from a physically and emotionally damaging environment permanently. Grandparents are often the first and best option for children to find the stable and secure environment they desperately need and deserve. Check out the links below to help secure visitation with your grandchildren, or fight for the rights of someone who is unable to defend themselves.

The time to act is now, because all children deserve the best that our society has to offer. As a Oregon grandparent you have rights. Grandparents Visitation and Child Custody Rights, Laws, Advice, Support, and Dispute Resolution Through Negotiation and Court LitigationThese rights enable you to request visitation, and also allow you to be a voice for someone who may desperately need your help and support. Life can come with many challenges, but if you believe that everything happens for a reason then life’s challenges will suddenly become an obstacle with a manageable solution. Don’t forget, Oregon grandparents’ legal rights, regulations, guidelines, and rules of law, regarding grandchild visitation and custody, were also legislated for guidance, advice, and strategies to support the “Best Interests of the Children” standard through OR family law.

6 Responses to “Oregon (OR) Grandparents’ Rights for Visitation, Custody, and Support”

  1. Polly Hornsby says:

    Oregon DHS is involved with my grandsons and has been for a few years. I’ve been aware of this for about 10-12 months. When I visited Oregon in November 2014, my oldest grandson Cashis (who is 3 years old) was able to come back to California with me. It was supposed to be until his 3rd Birthday which is 2/22/15. It was decided by his Parents that he would stay longer, and I was delighted. I was later told he would have been taken away by DHS if I didn’t take him or the cousin Fina, was not in the home. My son was incarcerated at the time, he has been in and out of jail for drugs the last several years. He is currently out now as of 12/26/14. There is another child who is not 9 months old. The only reason the kids are in custody of the Parents is because they have someone live with them to keep the kids. They can only be alone with the kids a few hours a day. Cashis the oldest child has been in California with me the last 8 months and Cashmir with me since 6/02/15, both children will return home 7/18/15. It is an unstable and unsafe environment, which the Parents cannot meet the children’s needs. During the time I have had the children they have progressed tremendously. During this time, the parents have not provided any support for the children. Their receiving food stamps, (WIC) for both children, and Social Security Benefits. I informed DHS and they were unconcerned of this Fraud. The above services have continued while both children were not in Oregon. I am unable to afford an attorney to get Custody for the children. I am told it has to be an attorney in Oregon.

    • Brenda schiele says:

      Just wanted to say that I gained custody/guardianship of my grandson without the help of an attorney. However, my daughter signed off on it, and DHS pushed for it to avoid taking him into state custody. It sounds like your son has a safety plan in place with DHS, but it also sounds like the person they chose is not doing what’s required. I would contact the case worker and report the continued drug use. Then see if you can contact the county they live in to get the proper paperwork to file for legal guardianship. You can file this yourself, and if the parents object there will be a court date. Most of the time when drugs are involved, they don’t fight it for fear of exposure. Good luck, its better to do it this way because once they are in DHS custody its a real bummer to get them out. I am dealing with that situation now with my second grandson.

  2. Pam Grant says:

    My daughter, who is pregnant with twins, uses my 6 year old grandson as a power chip. Dare I submit an opinion on anything, and she disallows his visits. I helped raise the child, and we are very attached. I need to see him. Help!

  3. Debra Lockwood says:

    I was the basically the sole caregiver for my grandson from the day he came home from the hospital till he was 6 Mos old. Which is when at midnight my daughter in law took him, left her husband (my son), and disappeared. I know she is with her parents, but I have not been allowed any contact, or visitation with him in over a month. Help please

  4. Laura says:

    My granddaughter is in Foster Care through the child protection services. Someone told the cops that I was a drug dealer. They stopped my visitation. How do I remedy this. Department of Human Service (DHS) said they had to mitigate it. This is in Eugene, Oregon.

  5. karron says:

    We have been the sole providers for our 2.5 yr old grandson from the day of his birth. The mother visits a few times each month on the weekends and stays at our home while she visits, but gives no financial support for his care in any form. My grandson lives with us and has his own room, toys, clothes etc. I take him to his medical appointments when needed.His mother (our daughter) lives else where out of town. She lives on a very limited income, in fact we pay for most of her stuff as well. She uses her money for whatever she wants for herself. This arrangement has been fine up until recently. Now she threatens to take him away from us unless she gets what she wants when she wants it. I should note that she has another new boyfriend. We need to know if we have any grounds to file for custody of our grandson. He needs a stable home and a structured routine. What do we do to keep him with us and insure he grows up healthy. We live in Oregon, thank you for your help.

Ready to Eliminate Personal, Marital, or Family Problems? Tell us about your Situation...